Intro to Stained Glass (Weekday Series: 2/12, 2/14, 2/16)
Welcome to the Stained Glass shop!
This introductory class will be geared toward the curious person who has never done the craft before, or has had experience doing stained glass art in the past but is seeking a refresher of the basics! Framing/edging of the pieces or application of patinas is not covered in this course but may be discussed for context purposes. We WILL add hanger loops to your finished projects so you can hang them up with pride in your window at home!
COST: $165 for non-members, 25% off for members!
After this class, you will:
- Know how to cut glass
- Know how to shape the glass after cutting it
- Know how to prep, foil, solder, and finish a piece
- Have something colorful to take home and show off to your friends!
- Have the knowledge of how to use the space and materials, so you can create stained glass art on your own!
Class Pricing includes:
- * Consumable materials (paper patterns, glue, glass, foil, wire, flux, solder, cleaners, and polish)
- * Tool use (hand and powered tools)
- * Small class sizes, for more individualized instruction
- * Shop space usage (exclusive use of space during classes to students only)
* Pattern selection and prep
* Glass selection
* Glass cutting instruction & practice
* Glass grinder orientation & use instructions
* Fitment refinement
* Foiling & burnishing
* Finishing touches
* Polishing & cleanup
After completing the class you will have all the skills needed to access the stained glass shop at any time! Just remember those closed-toed shoes, covered knees, and safety glasses. :)
***PLEASE READ ALL DETAILS BELOW PRIOR TO REGISTERING FOR THIS CLASS***
If you need to cancel your RSVP, the following policy applies:
- 2+ days away: full refund, please contact instructor for refund instructions.
- Less than 2 days: no refund*, your registration is non-transferable and is considered a donation to the shop
Cancellation does not automatically get you an opportunity to reschedule. Any rescheduling is subject to existing class availability and instructor's discretion.
A no-show with no proof of timestamped attempted contact prior to the start of the class will forfeit the class fees and the funds will be considered a donation to TinkerMill, even if due to illness. Even if the instructor does not get the message before class, if there is a timestamp to show there was an attempt, it'll count as prior contact. This can be via email, Slack message, carrier pigeon, etc.
* If the need to cancel or a no-show is beyond your control, please speak with the instructor to discuss. Resolution is subject to instructor's discretion.
ATTIRE - COME PREPARED:
Closed-toed shoes and pants (or wearing a lap covering like an apron) long enough to cover down to your knees at a minimum are required for safety reasons. There is always a risk of hot solder splatter or glass shards as projectiles while creating stained glass art.
It is very easy to get minor cuts on your hands during glass work. We have a first aid kit and bandages on hand, but please note that you may get nicks or cuts on your hands or fingers during this class. If you have a medical bleeding disorder or similar health risk with skin wounds, please keep this notice in mind
Class is open to anyone 18+ or those between ages of 14-17 with a parent/guardian is also in attendance as another attendee. No exceptions.
TOXIC MATERIALS WARNING:
This craft and class typically involves physical contact with LEAD, a material known to potentially cause bodily and/or reproductive harm with certain exposures, especially if ingested. We have a heavy-metals removing hand soap available in the shop for handwashing, as well as nitrile gloves available if you wish to eliminate/reduce physical contact with the solder entirely (typical solder we use is a mix of 60% lead and 40% tin). Feel free to bring gloves of your own if you wish, but you will need finger dexterity (so nitrile-dipped gloves are good, heavy leather work gloves are a bad idea).
In general, students are told to wash their hands thoroughly after handling any solder, any finished pieces, and any tools used in the shop - just don't lick the solder or any finished pieces, eat with unwashed hands after touching anything in the shop, and they should be fine. Lead-free solder is available upon special request for personal shop use, but will NOT be used in this class by default.
Do not make plans for immediately after the listed end time of class, because this class could potentially run late. How late it goes depends on the skills and efficiency of the students in every class. If you think you'll need it, please bring a snack with you, as we do not have any to give out. If you bring a water bottle or beverage, it must have a lid. We can refill water bottles here!